How can mama regain her sense of style and keep up with the hottest trends? Here's the tips I came up with for myself, and I'm sharing them with you!
- Out with the Old - Let's take a hint from fashion - designers come out with new styles each season and each year. Sure, sometimes trends get revisited, but, the important take-away is that the LOOK is always different. So, go through your closet, and simply remove items that you don't love or that show too much wear. If it pains you to get rid of them, don't - just set them aside, maybe in a box or a different closet for now. You need to have a clean palette to work from!
- Size Up the Competition - Remember the part about things not fitting? Well, I tried on EVERY item in my wardrobe. If it didn't fit to my satisfaction, I set it aside (not thrown out! just aside so it's not part of the wardrobe I'm trying to build). This is an important step, because nothing makes a mama feel LESS "hot" than grabbing your once-favorite shirt or pants, and finding they don't fit. Five minutes before you have to leave for somewhere. Then you end up wearing anything that fits, and you just don't feel like you're the hottest mama on the block. Instead, make sure everything in your wardrobe actually fits.
- Color Coordinate - In order to build an effective wardrobe, it's important to see what you have in each color. So I groups like colors together - I noticed I had a lot of black and brown, but almost nothing navy blue. So I decided I needed to get a few basics in that color so I could have options.
- Top Down - Start to build your looks from the top. Don't like your hair? Color it, cut it, pin it up, blow it out... get yourself a great hairdo and half the job is done! Because even the best outfit can't change the way you feel about your face... speaking of...
- Face First - Like with the hairdo, it's important to take care of your face - people will look at your face the most. I have found that makeup counters in department stores are happy to give you a new look for free - just go when they are slow. Also, Origins will give you a free mini facial and discuss their face products while they work. I'm not saying to go just to take advantage of them - you might want to wait until you can plan to buy at least a lip gloss or something, but still, it's a nice perk, and will go miles towards refreshing your look!
- Tip-Top! Now it's time to build your wardrobe. I have found that by simply refreshing the tops I got a whole new look. Black pants are black pants. But paired with a lovely dove gray blouse with a pop of metallic trim - I have a whole new and stunning look. Tops are a good place to spend a chunk of your wardrobe money too because they are most likely to go in and out of style, and most likely to get damaged / stained from food and what-not. So they need to be replaced more often.
- Under Where? I worked at a name brand lingerie retailer for awhile. So I know the importance of good underwear. Honestly, it's the little things that will make you feel fashionable. Make sure you have bras that fit your outfits. If you have shirt that's more sheet, get a nude colored bra. Skinny straps or lower cut shirts need a strapless bra. Again, you won't feel runway sharp if you have falling bra straps or odd-colored bras showing through!
- Put Your Feet Up - I had been ignoring my humble little appendages - my feet - until I realized that even my favorite outfits felt frumpy if I didn't have the right shoes. I, personally have trouble matching shoes to outfits, so this is where a website like Polyvore can come in handy. You can create a basic outfit similar to one you have at home, and then drag and drop shoes to see what kind might fit. I decided to replace a lot of my shoes after I gave birth because I thought it was important to have good footwear while running around after a little one, and because the right shoe really makes the outfit!
- Accessory to A Crime - Having the wrong accessory is a fashion crime. Well, okay, we can be easy on ourselves and downgrade it to just a fashion faux pas. Study magazines to see what accessories are hot this season - is it the belt? Scarf? Animal print purses? Find a trend that suits you and run with that - if it's a color trend, get a few accessories in that color, and you'll have an easy time coordinating your outfits.
- Double Duty - Accessories can sometimes do double duty - wear that brooch clipped to a hairband, on a label, or even pinned to a belted waist. A great way to make that accessory "work it!"
Got a style tip? Leave a comment!
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Kenmore blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.